Tuesday, January 19, 2016

The balanced family.

I love my family. It has a nice arrangement that seems to really work.

My wife is the organized, consistent, loving one. She can really understand where a child is coming from, unless they interrupt her while she is on her Disney boards. Then she seems to connect with Fagin rather well.

This really meshes with the gaps I have. Not the ones in my head or my jeans which so recently could be worn in public, but in my approach to parenting.

I have the crazy notion that someday these imps will grow up to be, well, grownups. And I imagine what they would be like if they at 30 behave as they do today. And since I don't want them to be film actresses, singers, or politicians I try to fix that discrepancy.

Today was clean up day at our house. I like the idea of a sabbath, one day a week where you respite and recreate from a busy week. In order to feel like that is earned I push the lazy lot of us to clean the house on Saturday.

Last week the kids learned how to sort the laundry. This is harder than it sounds, especially with clothes that border white and not, like patterned shirts or old underwear. It also helps that my wife and I contradict each other on how to do the job.

This week it was vacuuming. I know it sounds like an old fashioned approach, circa 1600, except that they have a vacuum and aren't sweeping a dirt floor. It is useful though because someday they will need to clean for themselves. I'm just helping the 5 year old ahead in life.

It seems contrary to some people to encourage a child to be independent. After all, you only have a few precious years to enjoy their youth. The trick for them must be enjoying short people who are rude, sloppy, ignorant and selfish.

Since I don't want to change to enjoy my kids more, I encourage them to. It enables them to live a full, complete life without the need for basement rooms. It also allows them to take care of themselves when they want/need to.

The other morning our precocious 7 year old woke up early and proceeded to the kitchen. In my sleep induced stupor a vaguely remember hearing the words "appetizer", "sweet potatoes" and "olives".

Sure enough, the little wonder had made a breakfast fit for the second trimester. I'm glad to know that she can make healthy, if not freakishly odd, food choices for herself.

I think I'll wait before I have them help plan a meal.

1 comment:

  1. Ken - Good for my nieces! And, BTW, Emily can earn her "Special Interest - I Can" badge for helping out at home. Joelle did hers last week. Here are the requirements - feel free to print them out - this was the old "Housekeeping" badge from when I was in Brownies.

    1. With an adult, make a list of weekly cleaning activities that should be done by a good housekeeper. Choose /two/ of them that you will help with the next time they are done in your home
    2. Learn how to sort clothes. Learn how they should be laundered
    3. Learn how to use a broom, a mop and a vacuum cleaner. Then tidy, clean and dust your own room
    4. Help to clean the refrigerator
    5. Clean the bathroom basin and the bath.
    6. Wash the dishes, clean the sink, leave the kitchen tidy
    7. Polish some silver, or brass or furniture, or clean a window. *Remember that these cleaning materials are poisonous
    8. Help with the household shopping.

    I got my mirrors washed (instead of silver/brass/windows) and Joelle washed my kitchen floor.
    Thought I'd share this because all the book says is that she is supposed to do a badge on something she can do. And obviously, she can be a good housekeeper!

    Note: Natalie will want to help her. I gave Charlotte a different room to clean while Jo was working on her badge.

    ReplyDelete