Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Playing mind games with the kids

Kids are funny.

I'm not sure where the urge originates, but I love to play practical jokes on my children for my own amusement. It's not uncommon, half of the parents I know do it. Specifically the male half.

I remember my father hiding on us when we were camping. Quality parenting for us included lying in wait for three children walking back from the outhouse in the dark, and then springing out with a snarl like a bear with a fur wedgie.

I continue that wonderful tradition, attempting to set my offspring's emotional development back a few years for a few good laughs.

Somehow though the kids are FAR funnier when they are not trying to be. And I'm the only one not laughing.

Last week we were playing a board game with the kids. We do this to:
- Teach them rules
- Improve their social skills
- Provide us the opportunity to say "Sit still" more often

The game in question was an intellectual game involving questions on various subjects from grades 1 through 6. It reflects badly on us as parents that we did not win said game. In my defense the dice were loaded. In my wife's defense she doesn't think that practicing mental math is a "cool and fun" pastime. WhatEver!

One question was asked of my bright 6 year old. She can read at levels beyond her grade, and she is no slouch in any of the other subjects. The only areas of difficulty for her are legibility and silence. Can anyone say 'Doctor'?

The question was "What is in a camel's hump."

I repressed my laughter so well I'm sure it became a stone somewhere in my abdomen. My bright eyed little wonder pondered it for a moment and then said:

"The passenger's luggage?"

We decided to give her older sister a shot. A good opportunity to let her shine. She didn't.

Older daughter: "Poop"?

These kids must not have seen a healthy camel in their short lives. Its the sort of idea that intelligent design could not have come up with, although I know a few committees who would have. I was still trying to wrap my brain around an animal with a built in flesh-trunk, or worse, a fecal backpack.

The usual guess of water was thrown out there before we could correct them with the right answer of "Fat".

I think I may need to have a chat with them on basic animal anatomy. All I need them saying is "Is that a fanny-pack you're wearing, or are you storing up water for a long march through the desert?"

No comments:

Post a Comment