Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Love the job

It is a rare gift to have a job where you do what you love. The type of employment where the person is always overpaid because somehow they found the opportunity to be rewarded for what would otherwise be a time-wasting hobby.

For the rest of us we have a few responses. Some are involuntary, like hoping karma will deal those lucky folks a hot water tank failure in the morning. Other responses are our own choices.

Such as, tt is a rarer type of person who chooses to love what they do. These people are above circumstance and are a fountain of inspiration, and jealousy.

I like to think I'm one of those people. At least some of the time. The happy type not the jealous one.

The primary advantage of my current employment is that it is "stable". If my job were a person, it would be the bored love child of Eugene Levy and Ben Stein. Add that to the list of mental images that frighten me.

In my day to day business I COULD get run down by the routine of it. Another, worse response is to become overattentive to petty details, losing proportion faster than a marshmallow in the microwave.

If you have never seen that happen, please go and nuke a mallow now. I'll wait.

Clean up isn't fun, is it? Anyway what I do to keep the freshness at work (aside from putting those car air fresheners in my office) is I have fun.

Fun is a relative term. What is funny to me as a practical joke is someone else workers compensation claim. As a result I try to include everyone in the ha ha moments.

I wear costumes. I play practical jokes that are nice and funny. I put up funny signs on my office door.

This time I modified office equipment. In a fit of routine inspired inspiration I did this to our shredder:



I would say I 'pimped' out the shredder, but with those eyelashes someone would get the wrong idea. And visions of trauma.

Suffice to say it did pick up the office morale that day. Until I proclaimed that I should spend more time dressing up the office equipment. Now I'm not allowed to be left alone with a printer.

So the moral of the story is: Learn to love your job. Since you spend most of your waking life there it's better to enjoy it than be miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment