Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Acting my age

"I may grow old but I'll never grow up." This is popular slogan articulating the desire to live out life as Peter Pan.

I don't mean imagining a 45 year old man with a beer gut sporting green tights, matching t-shirt and a cap with a feather pretending he's capable of sustained unaided flight, as amusing as the vision is. I mean that idea that we'll never stop having fun.

The problem with this statement is that the idea of 'fun' is a subjective definition. What is 'fun' for me at an amusement park would be an inspiring human lunch fountain for someone with motion sickness. What is entertaining for you might just be illegal in Botswana, Azerbaijan, or Mississippi.

This week my older daughter asked me a serious question:
Her: Daddy, why do you act like a little boy around the Wii and Cookies? I'm worried about you.

How does one deal with this, especially when the second child and then your beloved spouse concurs heartily?

The question refers to my giggling, capering and cheering whenever I get:
A) A cookie
B) To play the Wii

Note that this is not the only time I react that way, but those are the only areas she has been able to observe.

I have read that the outward expression of joy and contentment completes appreciation. That no matter how much you think your wife is "allll THAT" it isn't fulfilled until you say it out loud. The meal is not complete without the Belch and the "good grits".

I'm hoping she buys that argument.

Nonetheless I don't agree with the sentiment that maturity is mutually exclusive from enjoying life. I will grow up and grow old and I will celebrate the privilege of doing both. I intend to make the best use of all faculties in that process.

Which is longhand for "I now know when it's appropriate to make lightsaber sounds when holding a yardstick, and I will continue to pretend to be Legolas on frozen snowbanks, but now I can speak Sindarin."

No comments:

Post a Comment