Sunday, March 2, 2008

War and Peace

It seems I like to read literature classics. I do it enough. I am trying to read through some of the great books that were not pushed on me during English class.

The problem is I am a slow reader with them. So slow I think the library will name a new wing in honour of me for my accumulated fines. And during the 3 to 6 months it takes to read these books I go through several phases.

1. This blows.

2. Gah! I can't understand who is who when the names are French/Greek/German/Irish/Russian.

3. Ooooo, I can't put this down!

4. Best book ever.

There have been two exceptions to this list: "The Illiad" and "Catcher in the Rye" both stayed at step 2.

I'm now over half way through War and Peace. This has been since I started in November. I am now somewhere between step 3 and 4, and I have a secret:

It's a soap opera, and I love it.

I know it's a challenge to my masculinity. Kim reminds me of this when she "listens" to me with glassy eyes when I explain how Natasha has kissed Antone and since broken up with Prince Andrew and is shamed except that Pierre is falling in love with her because his *itch wife Helene is messing around with Boris who married Julie for her money. But I hoped Pierre would fall in love with Prince Andrew's sister Mary. GAH!

What is weirder is that I need to disclaim that I am reading the book so when I start cursing the characters I don't like Kim doesn't think I'm mad at her, or am hallucinating about burning leprechauns.

So read this book. It's worth the half year and $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment