Saturday, March 15, 2008

Dinner and music. Ahhhhhhhhhh

Yesterday my beautiful wife and I went out for dinner (as opposed to the ugly wives I keep at home for obvious reasons). I was negative about the prospects of eating out in town. The options to me were:

Fast food
Glorified fast food
Overly priced food
Stay at home.

I didn't want to go out until I remembered my last visit to Naxos. It's a little restaurant that serves Greek food. Nice enough to dress up for, not too uppity to wear jeans to, reasonable price, and the food is transcendent.

My last visit to Naxos was a break in restaurant etiquette. I ordered the wings, "Naxos style", after the server gave the honest advice that the hot wings were not debiltating. If it won't render me speachless due to 3rd degree burns, it's not worth it. So Naxos style it was.
A salt/pepper/Greek spices & lemon juice combination that was so good we finished off the wings, then used the bread to mop up the extra, then used our fingers to lap up anything left. I wasn't above licking the plate, but it was unnessesary. Oh, and this was a business meeting too.

In other news, I learned a bit about music yesterday . I hate cover songs. As a rule they are worse than the original, and worse still because they are unoriginal. It gives credence to the line "you know she's a great singer because she's wearing so few clothes."
Shopping at the liquor store (an exercise in stereotypes, everyone there looked like a binge drinker. There were more cabs there than at the airport),
there was a remake of "walking on sunshine." It was like Enya had lost the will to sing, but was forced to at gunpoint. It took Jedi style mind power not to down a bottle of whatever was in reach to kill the pain of that song.

And that wasn't the worst.

Earlier in the day I was forced to listen to the local "hits of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and today". On it was "If you could read my mind" by Gordon Lightfoot. Gordon Lightfoot can NEVER be covered. NEVER! Again, much will required not to crush a co-worker's radio into atoms.
It sounded like Madonna's trashy little sister and her disco band tried a remake.

So there you go, you know my kryptonite. A mixed tape of Lightfoot covers will have me dislocating my shoulders to plug my ears with my elbows, because we all know you're not allowed to stick anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment