Monday, April 21, 2008

Why can't guys have showers with their friends?

My wife went to a wedding shower tonight. Fascinating events the showers. Little to no water involved, no one gets married, you just "shower" someone with gifts. And play cute games that make each other blush. And have a lot of good food. It's like a "pampered chef" party that you've already pre-ordered for.

At least that is what I'm TOLD what happens. It gets me wondering why guys are so much farther behind on this. Do we like to party less? No. But when we get together it tends to include a magic mix of:

Unhealthy food/drink.
Violence.
Pretending we were somewhere else.

The gifts we give aren't helpful, they are traps or mean jokes. Some idiot thinks it funny to miswire an electric shaver. We do something awful to the food and make the prospective groom eat it. Someone vomits. The police show up, only to find the groom tied to a pig wearing a tiara and smoking a joint (the pig, not the groom).

We only do this once though. We go all out with our parties so we can only have one without raising the suspicions of the neighbours. In a way I'm glad, I would never want my friends buying me "unmentionables".

Women, I salute you. You can embarrass each other in ways that let you disclose what you did to each other without having to plead the fifth amendment. You can have more than one party, tripling the gift count in your favour. You can have parties that don't require the use of emergency equipment or services.

That is why after nine years of marriage we are replacing our dishes, towels, and cookware while I still am saving up for a new electric shaver.

No comments:

Post a Comment