Thursday, April 10, 2008

At least he's a nice boy...

Stupid: 1 a: slow of mind : obtuse b: given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c: lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
source: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stupid

Yep. We're all stupid. This isn't projection, it's careful observation. It comes from cognitive dissonance, which is to continue believing a lie when the truth has been made clear or is obvious. This can be funny:

"Oh look, the kid's are trying to dress the cat up as Superman and trying to make her fly."

"Ha ha, he actually believed he could play football with teenagers even though he's 40. Look at him cry and hold his back!"

"Windows Vista is still good."

"I can't believe he thinks she'll go out with him, she's so out of his league he's making a public fool of himself. What is Ken thinking?"

"Is Aunt Mabel wearing her daughter's tube top outdoors in daylight?"

It's most obvious with our bodies. We can all agree some things are good for us: Good food in appropriate portions, enough sleep, exercise fit to our body type, moderation of unhealthy habits, keeping our priorities to avoid stress. And yet I don't know anyone who doesn't break at least one of those rules. Daily. In fact, the "smarter" people are, the more they break. Hmmmm.

I stumbled on this when I lost a few pounds in short order. My secret: Healthy, moderate portions and exercise. Duh.

Then I've had a big improvement on my parenting, attitude, and how I feel. My secret: Time spent with God at night. Duh.

So these little things that I tell my children to do I can't manage myself. It's like I believe my higher thinking and capabilities (stop sniggering) allow me an out. What's you're excuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment