Friday, May 2, 2008

Superpowers

To carry on from yesterday, there are a lot of super powers that I wouldn't want.

This post pays hommage to 3 friends who spent a night watching "Blade Runner, the latest Final release" and drinking something that burned my throat. For what I recall of it, we had a great discussion.

Super powers that are right out:
Bullet proof: A skin that could deflect bullets is no good unless the nerves are already insensitive, and then that takes away all the fun touching things can be.
Super speed: Imagine hitting anything heavier than a raindrop at highway speeds. Oh, and tripping, turning, and knee problems.
Flying: Cold, suffocation at upper atmosphere, lightning, air intakes.
Time/space travel: This may come as news, but the planet and solar system are NOT stationary. Only a NASA engineer with a week of computing time could even hope to land on the planet, never mind > 6 inches above the ground (or so help them, BELOW).
X-Ray vision: Too many ugly people. See yesterday's post.
Mind reading: Ummm, no thanks. My thoughts scare me deeply at least once a week. I don't need confirmation everyone is a psychopath.

So what WOULD I want? These powers:

Tremendous reflexes: I'd be safe driving, in gunfights, and better at sports.
Killing people with my mind: See Mind Reading.
Resistance to the "Map" song on Dora: nuff said.
Impervious in the need for sleep: I want to be awake, but I sleep out of necessity. How much could I get done without tiring out at midnight.

So tell me what powers you want so I may mock you with the power of sarcasm!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, Ken, I have two suggestions for you. The first is in a Globe and Mail article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070324.wpain24/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

    That would solve your bulletproof issue.

    The second thing you should read, for a good laugh, is a short story by Larry Niven: Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex. Actually found it on the web for you, here:
    http://www.larryniven.org/stories/Man_of_Steel_Woman_of_Kleenex.shtml

    My most wished for super power? Well, I liked your impervious to sleep one, but infinite patience would be nice. Add to that subconscious psychokinetic powers that would clean my house for me, and I'd be really set!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my links didn't work, the Globe article is a feature on health, entitled "no pain". Apparently there are people who can touch and sense, but don't feel pain. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, another thing for you to check out: Hybrid Assisted Limb. Super power strength for the real world. Hey, no more writer's block please. I enjoy your posts very much. Next time you have writers block get Kim or the kids to write. I'm sure Emily would be able to come up with a great story,

    ReplyDelete